Saturday 23 April 2011

Sara Teasdale

In this post at least, I may actually do something similar to what I said in the introduction. I've read some of the poetry of Sara Teasdale, an American poet who lived from 1884-1933. Although not exactly recent, her poems haven't lost anything in time, and they have the added bonus of being in a language that is easy to comprehend. Here I will post a few of her poems that I like and perhaps why I like them, and maybe a bit of other stuff along with that.




                  April



The roofs are shining from the rain,
The sparrows twitter as they fly,
And with a windy April grace
The little clouds go by.

Yet the back-yards are bare and brown
With only one unchanging tree --
I could not be so sure of spring
Save that it sings in me.



I like this poem for several reasons. The first is that it fits very well with the season right now. That, in my opinion, is one of the benefits of poetry about nature. All these years later, you can look outside and see the things described in a poem. Secondly, the feel of this poem is nice. Particularly, something about the last line brings the poem to a close perfectly, and gives a pleasant feeling. All in all, a quiet but happy poem.




                I Shall Not Care

 
When I am dead and over me bright April
Shakes out her rain-drenched hair,
Though you shall lean above me broken-hearted,
I shall not care.

I shall have peace, as leafy trees are peaceful
When rain bends down the bough;
And I shall be more silent and cold-hearted
Than you are now.


What I like about this poem is a little harder to pin down. I stands in contrast to the last poem, and maybe it's the contrast I like, but the feel of this poem is quite different. The imagery in the first two lines of the last half has a particular impact, and I suppose that that, along with the general feel of the poem, is why I like it. 

1 comment:

  1. You're right, the first poem does fit the season right now. And I think that you should post some of your own poetry, because I like the stuff you write!

    ReplyDelete